Tuesday, October 09, 2007

May I have this dance?

I do not like spiders.

At all.

Especially if they are on or anywhere near my person.

Snakes, mice, insects.......no worries.

Spiders though.......yyyyeeeeeessshhhh.

So....

Last week I was sitting at my desk...working at not working.... and looked up to see a bigass garden spider looming inches above my head.

Not even a naked Mikhail Baryshnikov offering to rub me down with fine french oil could have moved me faster than mister hairy eight leg.

Yes.....the spider dance had begun.

It truly is a masterfully choreographed piece. No two steps are ever the same. Modern...yet classic. A complete improvisation every time.

Twisting & turning....I half jump half dive to the left of my desk
. My chair is sent reeling back into the 100-plus-year-old single pane window behind me. Side note: there is a wall to the left of my desk. After removing my forehead from the drywall....I duck & weave, duck & weave, spin spin, shudder and sprint out of my office to the foyer......wwwwuuuuuuaaahhhhhhh! Without missing a beat.....my boss looks up and asks, "Spider?"

Very few have witnessed the spider dance......and lived to tell about it. Shut it, cuteboy. I can hear you sniggering. Death by laughter.

Anywho.......

I gathered my wits......along with a newspaper....and slowly crept back into my office. There he was....sitting smuggly in the middle of his web....smiling. I had every intention of smashing the fuzzy lurker but decided to scoop it up and show it the door. I'm so nice. At least.....I thought I was being nice.

Today.....

....as I was exiting the building something caught my eye. Literally.

Mr. Hairy-Eight-Leg had spun a web across the entrance of the door........right at eye level.

Yyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Duck, spin, shudder shudder, twist, shudder, step step step, shudder.....

Shall we dance....?

8 comments:

Gaz said...

Front row seats to the show are hard to get, given the fickle nature of spiders...... but what a dance!! Funny Baryshnikov is mentioned, he would be awed by your physical display!

:-)

Gazelle said...

My wife does the spider dance, too. And I have to admit a few spiders have caused me to move rather quickly on occasion...

Anonymous said...

i'll dance with you!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

[You 'gathered your wits' - probably didn't take long.]

Presumably the dance you've been doing is in 4/4 time. Perhaps if you change the rhythm, so that the spiders have difficulty keeping time, they'd give up and leave you alone - just a thought - I'm off now.

Mick said...

Never come to Oz. We have the spiders from hell, and their Dads. Look up funnelweb, and mouse spider if you're looking for really ugly.
Happy dancing!

twin said...

Miss M - you're one spider I'll gladly dance with!

Dad - I'll try to change it up....the next time one lands in my lap.

Mr. Mick - yes...I've seen National Geographic.

gazelle - nice that your wife has the occasional dance partner.

gaz - stop laughing

Gaz said...

"Presumably the dance you've been doing is in 4/4 time." Ha Ha ...... good one, 8 legs and all.

Think of watching "Riverdance" on fast forward!

pranaglider said...

Reminds me of the time my wife and I sat down to watch arachnophobia...