Tuesday, March 20, 2007

random

Degrees of separation...

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Prometheus Bound

Aeschylus

Agamemnon

Greek Tragedies

Norm Anderson

That's where fifteen minutes of distraction lead me to today....

A typical Tuesday....hip deep in horse shit....distracted by a two-day headache. I was making my way through the muck & mire when Elizabeth Barrett Browning arrived. Uninvited. Not very ladylike of her...to call unannounced. She waited....as I worked the sales & trades....till I could no longer ignore her.

Fine....I hear you. ...what do you want?

Follow me...

...she whispered...leading me down a path. A path.....I hadn't visited in years.

Years...


Norman Anderson.

The only high school teacher that truly inspired me. Inspired me....to read.

An English Teacher.

He's the reason...I studied English in college. (The first go around.) The reason....I became fascinated with words.

Norman Anderson.

A man of...flare.

A lover of Greek Tragedies. He wore a burgundy blazer. Occasionally a cravat. Always....a large garnet stone (in a rather raw/artistic 18k gold setting) on his left hand. His dog Herkimer...usually found chasing tennis balls down the hallway...accompanied him to class. He loved earrings....and would often stop in the middle of a lecture to comment on a pair that caught his fancy.

Norman Anderson.

Norm.

He didn't take to brown-nosing. And....didn't allow slacking in class. Always took interest in the kids that needed coaxing....prying shy kids out of their shells. Delivering the kind of attention....that inspired participation.

He was the epitome of good teaching.

Words are the physicians of the mind diseased. ~Aeschylus: Prometheus Bound~

From...

Poetess...
to
Translation...
to
Dramatist/Poet..
to
King/Greek Tragedy...
to
Lover of Greek Tragedies...

Degrees of separation....