Tuesday, March 06, 2007

LSD

Tried to drown myself today.

Okay...

Not really.

Forced myself to go to the pool at lunch today. Hip deep in horse shit...I shoved it aside and went for a swim. Figured it would be good to clear my head. Nothing like following a black line...back & forth...back & forth...for an hour. It's amazing how easily my brain shuts off as soon as I jump in the water.

Long. Slow. Distance.

3 x 1000 meters

Didn't have it in me to do the workout posted on the dry-erase board. Instead.....I ignored the time clock...focused on feeling the water. Entry...placement...extension...pull...recovery. Paying attention to each subtle nuance....that's developed over the past 30 years. Head level. Hip level. Relaxation. Finger drag. Timing. Breathing. If anything's off......I feel it. Today....I was off. Left elbow slipping. Right shoulder over-extending. The stress of work...taking it's toll.

I ticked off the 1000s....and slowly worked out the kinks. Ignoring the queries of other swimmers. "Where've you been?" "Not swimming with us today?" "Work keeping you busy?"

Yeah....work.

I spent an hour......away from work. Not thinking. Just...feeling. Feeling the water temperature changes at each end of the pool. Feeling the water glide over my shoulders. Feeling the day's aggravations slip away...

3 comments:

pushingtide said...

liquid is liguid.

the ocean has looked like a pool here for the last week or so.

Mick said...

I did 2k yesterday on my first swim for a few months...thought I was a hero till I read that.
Hmmmm Nmmmm.

Gazelle said...

In these circumstances, better your kind of LSD than the chemical kind. That was a good use of a lunch hour.