Wednesday, August 27, 2008

school me




I often find myself in the midst of the boys' club...when it comes to the line up.

So when I paddled out Tuesday morning I figured it would be another same ol' same ol' session with all the usual suspects.

Four men....and me. (not that I'm complaining....mind you)

All the niceties ensued...."Hey how's it going..." "Good morning" ....and the ubiquitous nod.

And then it began....advice being thrown at me from all sides.

Normally....I will smile & nod. (in one ear...out the other)

Tuesday's teachers though.....required attention.

How often do you get a two hour seminar from 3 very good surfers and.... a legend.

A South African, two Half Moon Bay boys and.... Mr. Pipeline.

I consider myself lucky....not everyone gets this kind of education.

I listened.

I tried to remember (& execute) everything they were telling me.

I was on the twinfin (one day board). Should've taken out the genius....but I wanted more practice with the new shorty.

I was slow to my feet. And... having ridden Sonja the day before....kept stepping off the back or not widening my stance enough.

I kept at it though.

And then....

Bearhunter said "go"...

I spun & went...

Backside...pig-dogging it into a barrel....only to stand up too soon & get taken out by the lip.

Sir Lancelot watching (& hooting) on his paddle back out.

May not be legit by most standards....

I think I got an A for effort.

6 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I don't know if I approve of you chatting to strange men .......

Anonymous said...

you sure do

Anonymous said...

woohoo!!

penfold said...

Don't listen to that bunch of old farts. Good news on the twinfin (my fave board now for sure) - pig-doggin' backhand barrels? Woo hoo!
Isn't it about time you booked some flights...?

twin said...

Well Mr. Penfold....school's back in session so the flight will have to wait. I have started a "Pennies for Portugal" fund though....

Beach Bum said...

I like your rear end there.