Tuesday, September 18, 2007

snap shots...

One....month.

Thirty-Two days....B has been at Doernbecher's.

The cuteboy's been keeping a daily photo-log. Each day's progress is digitally captured. Flipping through the pics......takes your breath away.

Single shots. Moments in time. Reminders.

Much about those first few days is a blessed blur...but for the few vivid scenes that will be forever burned into my mind's eye. I can't think about B's initial surgery without a flood of tears welling up. Eight and a half hours that felt more like eighty. Sitting by his bed at 4:00 a.m. Holding his hand & intently watching his swollen unrecognizable face....whispering to him so he would know we were there. Thinking to myself....please please...just open your eyes & roll them at me....pull your hand away....show me the usual courtesy of animosity. Anything... to put my heart at ease.

Seems like yesterday.....and ages ago.


He's had amazing progress. And....a few setbacks. All in all...he's doing well. But....it's time to get him moved and on his way to rehabilitating.

You want so desperately for there to be steady progress....that when things stall....it's almost unbearable. Perhaps....a call to papa?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'show me the usual courtesy of animosity' - love it!
Hope rehabilitation goes well and you can start getting at each other again soon.

Anonymous said...

god he's so beautiful. my heart goes out to you, to him and to all concerned...x

Kim said...

Very cool of you to share what's going on in your life with all of us readers (and a link to a new surfblog, yay!); it's gotta be so very tough to deal with, you're brave.

My thoughts are with you.