Wednesday, September 26, 2007

hobbled

Ever had the pleasure of a bad back?

I started having back problems at about 10 years old. Twenty-nine years....and this has become old hat.

Of all the docs I've seen over the years....only one....the anesthesiologist that was giving me my epidural during labor....pointed out/asked me if I had had scoliosis as a child. (He noticed a curvature in my spine.)

Um....no?

The first time it happened....I was in the middle of gymnastics practice. Can't remember exactly what I was doing....but I couldn't stand up. I had to crawl off the mat and lay down.

That was the first of several "episodes" over the years....where I would hobble around for a few days. Hunched over....clutching my bottle of aspirin as if it was my only friend on earth. If it was really bad....I would go see a chiropractor or osteopath. No worries though....my back always rights itself. Eventually.

So....

I woke up in the middle of the night Tuesday to excruciating pain in my left hip. Throbbing, aching pain. I tried to get it to pop....but nothing was working. Unable to get comfortable, I tried going back to sleep. Good luck. By the time I got up Wednesday morning....my whole lower back had seized. Oh joy.

It was all I could do to stand up.

I downed a couple of Advil and winced through my work day.

Well....

The cuteboy felt so bad about my hobbling around.....that this morning....he threw his back out. Lucy & Ethel couldn't have timed it any better. Empathy pains....just for me. Isn't he the sweetest...?

The sight of us both trying to make our way down the stairs this morning....was too much. I started laughing....a bad thing when it comes to back pain.....I almost fell down the stairs.

Advil anyone....?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should see if the cute boy will share some of his geritol with you.

Foul Pete said...

I'm on my way to the chiropractor in ten minutes. I've destroyed my back skateboarding. Chiro and Acupuncture have helped tremendously... as has surfing...

good luck...

twin said...

nasty - I mentioned that laughing is painful..right? Geritol....lmao.

Gaz said...

Nasty.. you bastard!

Daddy Papersurfer said...

[Oh God, I don't know what to say. mustn't make them laugh, can't really poke fun at people suffering ... oooo I know]

What's the weather like? Like a cup of tea?

Anonymous said...

oh so sorry about your back. radioactivejam.com has a bad back at the moment too.... hope it's not catching....