Thursday, April 24, 2008

daily doubles

After two weeks of off time....I jumped back into the fray with both feet this week. Almost 11,000 yards in the pool, couple hours of power vinyasa yoga and about 6 miles on the ski.

I go through ups & downs with workouts. The usual burnout. But when work gets in the way and I can't get in the pool or to a yoga class for a couple weeks....and I'm too tired in the evening to jump on the ski........I get irritable, crabby, bitchy. You name it. I actually start to feel physically sick.

Workout withdrawal.

Blame my parents. More specifically...blame my father.

From the time I first started swimming competitively....age 5.....til now....almost 40....I've always had at least two sports/activities/workouts a day going. Early morning workouts. Afternoon workouts. Evening workouts. Coach Ron had the where-with-all to channel my overactive imagination & energy into a lifelong pursuit of positive output. He created.....a fitness fanatic.

Thank you Papa.

5 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

Fathers should be blamed for most things I find.

*puff* *pant* - gosh this cup of coffee is heavy.

twin said...

Hee!!! Hi Dad!

David J. Hirsh said...

At least you restarted the swim/yoga duologue. My pool doesn't open until May 11, and even then, as every year, they'll have a ton of time for play and 'pool-robics' and probably no more than a total of 90 minutes for laps.

Well, I am at least sticking to my yoga. I should do a video: "Yoga for Middle-aged, Broken-down Athletes that are Desperate to Keep Surfing Until They Die."

Keep posting!

David, Seattle

twin said...

Thanks for stopping by, David from Seattle.

Finding a pool to swim in generally isn't a problem (the club I'm a member of has 3)....it's finding enough time during the day to make it worth my while getting in. Gotta squeeze in the meters during my lunch hour.

Let me know how that yoga vid works out for ya... ;-)

Mick said...

God i feel tired just thinking about all that. I think I'll have a coffee and croissant.