Sunday, January 14, 2007

snow

This pic is from Thursday morning. Looks rather ominous. Snow. Dark. The monolith...bearing down upon her disciples. Deceiving. True to Oregon winter form....the sky took a turn. She opened up. Cleared for the weekend. The sun came out. The surf turned on.

Shoulda been here yesterday...

Well...of course.

I made the harrowing drive Friday night. Left the city at dark. Knew it was going to be slow going. Temps in the 20's. Packed ice. No all-wheel drive. No front-wheel drive. No chains. No worries. The usual hour & forty minute drive took me two & a half hours. Averaging 40 miles an hour. I kept hoping to find someone to follow over the pass. No such luck. I had the honour of drafting 6 vehicles from pdx to t'mook. Not one took advantage of the passing lanes. For some reason....they seemed to think german engineering would deliver them to the promised land. HA! My white knuckles were not appreciative...

Eh....wasn't that bad. Took advantage of the steptronic. Kept it in 3rd. Kept it under 45.

As 6 opened up into the 'mook....more packed ice... 17 degrees... and freezing fog. Fabulous...

Arrived 45 minutes later to a warm house....and even warmer hugs.

Saturday. So friggin cold...I thought for sure I was suffering from hypothermia....and all I'd done was get up to boil water for coffee. Fuck dawn patrol. Back to a warm bed. Ventured down to the beach at nine. What the hell??? Already 12 bodies in the water.....on one peak. One Peak!!! The only peak working....and two bigass vans from a local college had just pulled in and unloaded a shitload of soft-tops. By ten....almost 30 bodies in the water....and it hadn't even warmed up to 25.

When the surf's been so-so....and nobody's gettin any....not even ice and snow will keep us away. Stood and watched a multitude of drop-ins....on close-outs. Dared ding to paddle out....you know...clear the line-up. He was too pissed. Gaz was on the injured reserves list for the day....so no hike in to check my usual hex. No matter....probably wouldn't have been working anyway. Opted for the x...while waiting for an opening. No go.


No worries. I got water time this week. Got my ass kicked in the pool. Next time I try to use "burnout" as an excuse for missing a workout.....feel free to remind me. Close to 3 months out of the pool. Fuck.

Sunday. Gorgeous day. Cold. Clear. Sunny.

Gonna get water time....despite the crowds. Despite....the less than desirable close-outs. A little warmer today. Just as crowded. No worries. An easy paddle out. Timed just right.....dry hair. Not that that means anything. It was so friggin cold....all I had to do was blink....and "pop" ....out goes the right contact. Blind. Fuck it. Not gonna go in for new eyes. I can see out of one eye. Just means a lot of blinking and winking. I think the guy sitting next to me thought I was hitting on him.

Two hours in the water. Nothing "epic" to report. Water time....though. A really big AAAAAhhhhhhhhh.........


Was it worth the stress? Worth the shitty drive.....there & back?

Hell yes.

photo courtesy of Gaz
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

pushingtide said...

Superb pic!

Thanks for all the well wishes. Really appreciate it. Feels SO good to be back, so to speak.

Patch said...

good on ya.

Unknown said...

this pic stopped me in my tracks.

awesome pic!