Tuesday, June 12, 2007

ten

Will the real genius please stand up?

Ten years this beauty still woos me.



I picked her up in the summer of 1997. I had just finished Hood to Coast...and the v-man's dad was all excited for me to go check out Josh's shop. After a day & a half of little to no sleep and close to 18 miles of running...the last thing I wanted to do was walk anywhere....except to the beer garden. But...he kept insisting there was a board I would want to see.

I had been riding a 7'6" Pearson Arrow exclusively for a couple of years but really wanted to take my surfing in a new direction. Yes... to say that I am fascinated with Old Skool...Soul Surfer....Single Fin-ness...would be an understatement. But I digress...

He was right.

A Jim "the genius" Phillips noserider. Josh had just gotten her in. And....she was meant for me.

Despite my aches & blisters....we headed to the cove. I waxed her up & rode her for almost an hour in the waist high peelers. I was in love.

She's starting to feel the effects of age though.

The stress fractures & dent on her deck......


...closely resemble the split she left on the top of my noggin.


There's a bruise on her rail as well....no doubt the result of colliding with the bridge of my nose.

Despite all the bites over the years....she treats me well.

Probably won't get another 10 years out of her. You can certainly bet...I'll try.

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch. This confirms my long held belief that surfers are deranged.

pushingtide said...

Whoa! Makin' you pay for all those great rides on it.

Bill Graber said...

owwwwwww. Well some days its works and some days it don't

6ftnperfect said...

Mitch Yost wouldn't say bitchin' stick but I will. I just recently watched Jim's Master Shaper series DVD on how to make a board - he is a cut above. You should ring him up and order a new one!

twin said...

Not surprisingly...both those injuries happened on small waist high days. That's what I get for dicking around. (Also didn't keep me from enjoying the surf.) ;-)

Clay...check the pic of Red Sonja. She's a copy...almost. She was shaped by Jim last year. Red's rails aren't as hard and she seems to have a bit more bouncy. It's been fun comparing their differences.

twin said...

uh...yeah. That's buoyancy...not bouncy. Silly me...

Wave Farmer said...

I was nursing my old board through the sections today...

born circa 1992...delams, dings and deck removals...

Reattaches, repair and requests to God...

Especially today as I took one on the head (albeit small) and popped out the back bug eyed...

Looking to see if it was the last straw or another bullet.

6ftnperfect said...

that paint must have set you back!

Miss Jeanette said...

I absolutely adore you mamajama.