Thursday, March 22, 2007

dennis...

...took one look at me as I approached him on the deck and said, "You look like you could use a swim....burn off some of that stress."

Ya think? I mean....I could just sit at my desk and cry. Of course....this was before I actually read the workout. The usual 1000m warm up....then a 1500m set of 200's & 100's with some speed play mixed in. Oh joy...

The bulkhead is up...so it's the 50 meter pool today. Fabulous. Actually...the 200 & 100 parts don't bother me. I've always been a workhorse at these distances. It's the speed play that's a real bitch. Guess I should mention that "speed play" means breaking down the 200's & 100's by 25's (in a 50 meter pool) and randomly assigning a number of those 25's as fast...ie: sprint. Having to pour-it-on in the middle of a 50 meter length...without the help of a wall...pretty much sucks. At least I didn't have to pull the train. (Lead the lane.) The rest of the workout consisted of a pulling set...a kick set...and a drill set. About 3500 meters in all....in just over an hour.

Side note: Dennis....my coach. I use the term "coach" loosely...as I no longer compete. I just happen to drop-in on his workouts a couple times a week. Anyway....Dennis is a lifetime Oregon swimmer. Still competes at the top levels. In his early 20s he was ranked top 10 in the world...for his 200 fly. At 43....his 200 meter fly @ 2:04....is still faster than most 20-year-olds. To watch him swim....amazing. Such ease, grace & strength...

As I exited the pool....he smiled and asked the inevitable...."Feel better?"

Yes....actually....I do.

1 comment:

Gaz said...

Best part of work out in the middle of the day is the way it takes the edge of the rest of the work day, at least that's the way I remember it! ;-)